Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I saw a need ...


Youthful exuberance was replacing strive for academic excellence in my town (Awe). The young girls I left in JSS 1 for University were with pregnancy. The young boys roam the streets at night. Results of various secondary school examination were becoming alarmingly poor. This spurred a passion in my heart to do my part. I developed programmes that could expose these youths to good models (like me) who once lived in the same town. I went to four Universities and one Polytechnic during my semester break to sell the vision to other university students who had one time or the other passed through Awe township. We discussed this menace with the king and one of the chiefs. To highlight the academic views of secondary school students in Awe, quetionnaires were printed, administered and analyzed. Aawe Excellence Club was formed and now, Awe Excellence Conference (a programme that features academic seminar, Questions and Answers, Career Counseling, etc) holds every year. The seeds are being sown and I believe that one day, the fruits will be uncoverable. I simply saw a need.

No comments: